Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Giant and extra-big lobster....




















The giant crustacean

A few months ago I was in Koreatown visiting the HK Supermarket. I have bought some good seafood there in the past.

They have some tanks with live fish in them and usually there’s some Korean Halibut in there. Large, flat, green guys about 10-12 lbs each. There’s other tanks and they usually have Crabs-Dungeness- and lobster. Well, today I had come in to look a the crabs ,and they looked pretty nice all crammed together in their tank in their brown splendor,legs agitating the water. But when I looked at the blackboard with the prices on it I noticed that the crab and lobster were the same price- at $11.99/ lb. So I thought that the lobster was a bit more special. I started looking in the tank a bit more carefully and got the attention of the fish-counter person.

It was a pretty long tank- about 12 foot I would guess- and over on the left side I noticed one I liked. I chose him because he had a really large left claw and I like claw meat. As you probably know lobsters have one claw quite larger than the other.

“I’ll have that one", I said ,pointing to the guy I had chosen. So the man takes the wooden implement they use to hook out the lobster and starts fishing. First try was no good. He was trying to manoeuver from the right side along the tank but he didn’t have the right angle. Then the head fish-guy joins in and suggests he use the step ladder. So he sets up the step ladder and tried again. It took him three more tries before he got it and even then it was touch-and -go as the lobster seemed to be stronger!

Finally he fishes it out and I see the whole glorious thing. And it is a big one! He gets it onto the scales with some difficulty and the pointer reads 5 lbs 12 oz. WOW!! That’s the biggest lobster I have ever bought .

Then came the packaging . At first they want to put it in a big plastic bag but I am having none of that. I want to make sure that he arrives home still alive. Working in restaurant I knew that they transport them in boxes usually with some wet newspaper on top. So I issue the order and they go and find a suitable box. They take the lobster out of the black trash bag and put it in the box. Then, by some gesturing, I show them the paper towels on the wall. Finally they get it!



They peel some off and get them wet and put them over my lobster. They bring the box around to my cart and I wheel it carefully to the check-out. I am so proud of my purchase that I open the box to show it to the checker and the bagger. They murmur appropriately complimentary phrases in Korean. Like “what a beauty”.






Then it’s in the back of the car and I am on my way home. Driving fast: quite an adrenaline buzz this lobster buying!!

I had texted Rina ; “ Put some hot water on”. When I got home there was a kettle singing and another pan of hot water boiling. Perfect!!

Well it took a while to organize things but finally I had my biggest pot on with boiling water . I had added salt, peppercorns and a squeezed lemon. Then; the moment of truth: I opened the box and let the big boy loose. He squirmed around on my counter as if he knew what was coming. I turned off my sensitive-feelings knob and just grabbed the beast. I put him in the water but at first it seemed he wouldn’t go in. He had one claw outside, or the body wanted to back out or another scenario. But finally I had the giant crustacean in the water, making his last contortions.

I cooked the lad for ten to fifteen minutes. I was sure by now that he had cooked through. Quite relieved and glad this ordeal was over I hooked him out and put him on a platter. I was ready for a break and a beer!






Later I attacked the lobster and it was a job. I got the head off the tail and half a gallon of fluid came out. Then I took of the claws and the legs.



Lobsters have ten legs which include the claws.






So finally I get the tail itself out of the shell and plump it down on a scale. It weighs a meagre 12 oz!! But I know those frozen tails you buy can cost upwards of $9 each and they only weigh a mere 2 oz. So doing the calculation I reckon I got a bargain.
.






Man we feasted on that lobster! It was one meal over two days and required a lot of butter! I melt my butter and add in a sliced jalapeno, as well as lemon juice and salt,pepper. Then I let the butter sit in a low oven for half and hour to let the flavors infuse and evaporate excess moisture.


When I had given up on our crustacean Rina hauled the carcass out of the fridge and, attacking the body where the legs attach, managed to extract a full extra plate of meat.


<

Giant and delicious lobster we salute you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment